Public transport costs depend on where you live in Australia and the type of transport you use. Check the relevant government websites such as Transport NSW or Public Transport Victoria for the full range of services available, timetables and associated costs.

The driving

Driving rules in Australia vary from state to state. If you hold a temporary visa, in some states you may not be required to have an Australian driver’s license and/or learning permit as you may use your current foreign driver’s license for the duration of your stay.

However, other states require permanent visa holders to obtain an Australian driver’s license six months from the date they first entered Australia.

If you wish to drive, it is best to consult the traffic authority in your Australian state or territory for more information.

Choose the state or territory you will be driving in to learn more about driving with a foreign driver’s license.


Transport Concessions


The ACT government offers transportation concessions. Simply present your formal student ID or upon successful application for an ACTION Students Concession Card. For more information about student discount cards for the ACT, go to ACTION.


In general, international students are not eligible for transport concessions, but tertiary institutions can now offer discounts on My Multiple passes that offer periodic unlimited travel on buses, trains, light rail and ferries in Greater Sydney, the Hunter and Illawarra. International students are only entitled to concession fees if their studies are fully funded by specified Australian government grants. See Transport for NSW for more information.


Students travel for free on presentation of a valid student card. However, University and VET students are allowed unlimited bus travel for three hours on any scheduled public bus service at a cost of $1.00 with a valid student card. Details are available on the NT Department of Transport website.


You are eligible for public transport discounts if you are a full-time international student studying on a course approved by Centrelink for Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance purposes. Check out the Translink website for full details on concession fees in Queensland.


As an international student in South Australia, you may be eligible for transport concessions upon presentation of your formal student ID. Visit Adelaide Metro for more information on fares and conditions.


Students may be eligible for a concession card if they are studying as part of an approved exchange programme, have refugee status or hold an Australian Development Scholarship. Get detailed information from Public Transport Victoria or ask your education provider if you qualify.


International students and local students are eligible for the same travel benefits. For more information on transport concessions in Tasmania, visit Tasmanian Government Discounts & Concessions.


International students studying full-time in Western Australia are eligible for transport concessions. More information about concession passes can be found on the Transperth website.