Post-Graduation Work Permit

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada allows you to live and work in Canada after completing your studies there. But how can you apply for PGWP? And how long can you stay in Canada? And what are the top jobs for international students in Canada? Read on to find the full answers!

Looking for a job in Canada

Most students who graduate from a university in Canada have a very high chance of finding a job and staying in the country. During their education, students who build a social network and get used to the country’s culture and lifestyle thanks to the internships they can do, can start their careers, especially in the cities where universities and businesses are thriving, such as Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Quebec.

How to apply for a job in Canada?

Canada’s low unemployment rate and developed economic structure are among the major factors that make it possible to start a career in the country.

To find a job in Canada, you can first apply to the counseling centers open for international students of the university where you will be graduating and see the preparation of resumes, interviews and job vacancies. Also on the web:

  • You can subscribe to LinkedIn to develop your professional business network
  • If you are looking for a job in the design field, you can share your portfolio on sites like Behance, Deviantart.
  • You can enter international job sites such as Monster, XING, Job Canada, Talent Egg
  • You can view the job postings published on the official Canadian government website
  • By visiting the Volunteer Canada site you can work on volunteer work and projects and add a great experience to your resume.

Top Jobs for International Students in Canada:

In particular, the need for employment in petroleum engineering, computer and information technologies, computer programming and software, graphic and web design, healthcare, where successful developments are experienced in Canada, is increasing day by day.

If you want to pursue a career in Canada after graduation and have studied at a higher education institution in Canada, you can apply for further education and see the academic career opportunities in the country or look for jobs in the appropriate industries.

Bayer, Sandoz Canada, Shopify, L’Oreal Canada, PepsiCo Canada, Siemens Canada, and HootSuite Media are among the international companies to evaluate in Canada, particularly in the fields of engineering, healthcare, business, and economics.

Work in Canada during your studies and after graduation

While studying in Canada, you are entitled to work up to 20 hours a week (full day during the summer holidays) on campuses of your own university, without applying for a work visa. If you want to pursue a career in Canada after graduation, you can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

How long is the post-graduation work permit?

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) gives you permission to remain in Canada and work full-time for up to 3 years after graduating from a Canadian post-secondary institution. However, you should know that the length of your work permit depends on the program you have already studied in Canada.

How do you get a work permit after graduation?

To be eligible for a postgraduate work permit in Canada, you must meet PGWP criteria, which include:

  • Have graduated from a course of at least 8 months
  • Completed bachelor’s or master’s degrees at a university in Canada
  • Apply for a work permit within 180 days of your school issuing your final grades.
  • You must have a valid student visa.

You can learn the necessary conditions in more detail on the CIC website and get help from the consulates in your country.

Are you planning to start your career in Canada? Talk to your IDP advisor today to find the right degree programs for you.